MONTENEGRO ADVENTURE HOLIDAYS
Family Holiday Overview
Montenegro is small but perfectly formed and crammed full of jaw-dropping scenery. Mountains jut like giant teeth from crystal-clear waters; ancient Venetian walled towns cling to picturesque outcrops whilst offshore islands hide secret beaches begging to be explored. Inland, dramatic gorges replete with trees, waterfalls and caves look like something from the Lost World. In summer Montenegro is bathed in the scent of wild herbs, conifers and bougainvillea. Lord Bryon’s words certainly ring true, ‘At the birth of the planet the most beautiful encounter between land and sea must have been on the Montenegrin coast’.
Your holiday here will be full of adventure from scaling mountain summits and wild swimming to traversing jagged canyons and hiking around glacial lakes. There are a wealth of optional activities available including kayaking, horse riding, zip lining, white water rafting, mountain biking and more. Culturally Montenegro is a melting pot of history - Roman villas sit side by side with Orthodox monasteries and beguiling mosques. But the crowning glory to Montenegro is its people. Wherever you travel in Montenegro expect gregarious greetings, genuine hospitality and huge portions. Be warned, you may come back slightly wider than when you left!
- Montenegro has only been a nation since 2006, when it declared independence from Serbia
- Montenegro is steeped in history. Both the Kotor region and the Durmitor National Park are protected by the UNESCO World Heritage list
- Skadar Lake is the largest lake in the Balkans and home to over 10 million birds including pelicans. There are also over 2500 flamingos in Montenegro and numbers are rising
- The Tara River canyon is actually the deepest canyon in Europe at 1300m and the second largest in the world after the Colorado canyon in the USA
- The village of Mitrovica has the oldest olive tree in the world at over 2000 years old
- Brad Pitt’s first movie role in ‘Dark Side of the Sun’ was actually filmed in Montenegro. Montenegro also features in the James Bond film ‘Casino Royale’
- Budva’s old town was hit by an earthquake in 1979. Of the 400 buildings, only eight escaped damage. What you see today is largely the work of restoration experts
Your Montenegro Adventure Holiday
We thoroughly enjoyed our 10 days in Montenegro. Sally organised some fantastic accommodation for us and plenty of optional activities. Sally was always very efficient and helpful, offering alternative accommodation choices and tailor-making the trip to suit our family. All in all, an excellent service, and we would definitely recommend Wandering Tribe.