ICELAND ADVENTURE HOLIDAYS
Family Holiday Overview
Iceland is one of the most unique and exciting places on the planet. A land of fire & ice, elves, trolls and vikings - a living fairy-tale to inspire young imaginations.
The post-apocalyptic looking landscape is breath-taking, a perfect backdrop for planet Earth’s most active geological features. Iceland is a living, breathing geography lesson - a dramatic landscape of volcanoes, glaciers, lava fields, geothermal geysers, mud pools and majestic wildlife.
Take a glacier hike and crunch in your crampons, spot orcas and whales off the North coast, go snowmobiling on top of ice caps, ride Icelandic horses through wild terrain, raft down mighty rivers, head underground to see crystal ice caves and go husky sledging through the snow. Afterwards, soak your weary limbs in natural hot springs surrounded by mountains creating the ultimate vibe of serenity.
Iceland really does have it all for an unforgettable family adventure.
- Almost every town in Iceland has a thermally heated swimming pool. It’s where locals go to chat and one of the best places for the Northern Lights.
- Surveys show that 80% of Icelanders believe in the existence of elves. Even today, roads have been rerouted and building plans abandoned to avoid disturbing rocks where elves are said to live.
- Roughly 85 per cent of Iceland’s energy is from renewable resources.
- Icelanders’ surnames are derived from their father's first name. The telephone book lists everyone by their first name to avoid confusion.
- There are more than 125 volcanic mountains in the country. Iceland experiences a volcanic eruption roughly once every four years.
- There are no McDonald’s restaurants in Iceland and food such as dried fish, whale, puffin, and sheep’s head can often be found on menus.
- Icelanders eat skyr for breakfast, as a snack, in drink form, as a dipping sauce and with desserts. They’ve also been known to throw it as the houses of parliament during protests (is there anything that skyr can’t do?).
We have just returned from a 2 week family holiday in Iceland, with our 5 children aged 9-15, organised by Sally at Wandering Tribe. She did a fantastic job of planning every aspect of our holiday, with flights, car hire, accommodation in 6 different houses and a detailed route and suggested itinerary of places to visit. She also provided links to book activities. Every aspect of the holiday was meticulously planned exactly how we wanted, with Sally’s knowledge invaluable in ensuring the holiday ran smoothly with no stress on our part! Iceland was an amazing country to visit and Wandering Tribe ensured we didn’t miss a thing. Will definitely book another holiday with Sally.
We have just returned from a wonderful week in Iceland, organised by Wandering Tribe. It was perfect and exactly what we wanted and hoped for as parents of two young children, aged 2 and 4. The accommodation picked for us was spot on and right up our street - comfortable, well equipped and with breath-taking views to match. The drives between places were just right for our young children and the stop offs and suggested activities were excellent - we particularly loved the secret lagoon, Borgarnes and the beach walk with seal bathing on the rocks. The local geothermal swimming pools were a big hit with us all. Our two-year-old has not stopped saying "whale tail" since our whale watching trip and our four-year-old has been drawing pictures of the ponies, boat trips and volcanos. The holiday will have a lasting memory for all four of us. It was our first real holiday as a family and it couldn't have been better! We look forward to going on another adventure through Wandering Tribe again.
We didn’t really know what to expect of Iceland other than it would be cold. The people were very friendly and welcoming. The experience collecting the car from the airport was seamless - so so easy with no hassle. The scenery of Iceland was amazing, the roads are great and it makes you realise how useless the UK is in Winter. We visited the Blue Lagoon which was an experience and we also went snowmobiling on the glaciers which was fantastic and highly recommended. Reykjavik has some fantastic shops, cafes and restaurants. The advice and trips recommended by Wandering Tribe were invaluable with excellent accurate advice. Next trip will again be booked with Wandering Tribe! 👍